Thursday 22 August 2013

There's Light Beyond Blue

Many years ago, my beloved uncle died of a broken heart. I imagine it being literally smashed to pieces. I think he did try to piece it together slowly, but it became too much for him. 

He hung himself. 

It was so devastating for our entire family.


He is my Dad's baby brother. He was the one who would sneak money to me. I could listen to him for hours as he shared his childhood stories, which usually meant him and Dad getting into some kind of trouble. He would do things like ask us to go look for something and that was missing and declare "Whoever finds it, I will give them $5 yesterday" and we always fell for it. He was the one who would tell his sisters that he was away on holiday to Australia for a few weeks, when he'd really be in jail hahaha. 

We love him so. I love him so. 

I sometimes think about how horrific it would have been for my cousin to find her father in that position and how that would be a moment she probably couldn't erase.  I was about 18 years old when he died. My sister came to give me the news and I cried all the way to my parents house. She said that I had to pull it together for my cousin and I think I did. Twenty years later, it's still blurry.  I cried and cried to Dad, and he told me that how hard it was for him. Not much was too hard for Dad those days. 

I think Uncle may have forgotten how much he was loved by the rest of us. I'm sorry that he felt so sad that he couldn't say anything. We love him so much my cousins have been in charity boxing matches for him to help spread the word on suicide prevention, we love him so much I share his stories with my children. We love him so much full stop. 

I'm no professional, but I know how this has impacted me. 

So, all I can say is that if you think that someone is going through a hard time and won't be able to cope, scream from the rooftops if you have to, to get them help. Keep an eye on your friends and family and check in with them. 

Too many people are going too soon, especially when there are too many people who are fighting just to live. If you can be that light at the end of the tunnel, then try or at least go out and utilise the resources that are out there. 

My Uncle is loved and I'm 100% sure that you are too. If you are someone that is feeling extra sad, please just give someone/anyone a chance to help you see how loved you are. 

I love you Uncle xx


 http://www.beyondblue.org.au/

https://www.ruokday.com









No comments:

Post a Comment