Saturday 17 August 2013

Sore Arms & Determination

My arms are killing me. 

I had my first session with a personal trainer two days ago. The other night I woke up because it felt like someone punched in the arm. Then I realised, oh no stupido.. it's that exercise! My friends at work told me that from Day 2 the pain will get worse. And they were right. 

My personal trainer was friendly, down to earth and I do like her. As we were chatting in between arm exercises, she asked what my goals were. "Oh, I want to bulk up".. dahahahaha.. Apparently some time you need to state the obvious. She tried to sell me on her 12 week challenge. It all sounded great until it was $70 a week for 12 weeks. 

I have been moaning about my arms all day, and my teenager told me how she can't wait to see my muscles. I don't to be a muscle woman or super fit, I just want to be around a bit longer. Long enough to get to know my grandchildren really well. Or if I'm lucky, Iike my parents, I can be around for the great grandchildren. What a bonus that would be!

It's going to take a lot of determination, but this year I've reminded myself that I actually do have that in bucket loads. I told my personal trainer how I took part in the Gold Coast 5.7km run this year and she asked how my training went. I'm not sure if she believed me, but I told her I walked 6km, at least 3-4 times a week. 

A family friend's bucket list included doing the run, so I signed up. It's so typical of me. I would never do it just for me. It was an awesome experience. There were about 30 of us. Some did the 10km run and others did the 5.7km run. To be honest, I walked the whole thing - but I did it! After everyone crossed the line, the feeling of accomplishment was so satisfying,  there was such a terrific feeling amongst the group and I am so proud that I am a part of Team Fou. 

There's a long way to go. 

I think one of the reasons I was so determined with Team Fou was because I really didn't want to look like I was having an asthma attack 100 meters in, which was probably true.  I had done no exercise for probably a year or so. 

At the end of the day, you find whatever reason you need to get there and you do it. No excuses, no one to blame but yourself. 

I want to show the kids that if I can do what they are probably thinking is impossible, they can do anything too. Oh, and fitting preddyful clothes would be nice too hahaha. 

It's good to be doing something just for me. 

Now, to get through that legs session.

















No comments:

Post a Comment