Sunday 11 August 2013

Sunday is Fun Day!

Sunday is a day of rest. Yes, it is. Well it's supposed to be isn't it? 

I know there are plenty of people thinking... Whatchu talking about Willis?, but it's true - Sunday is a day of rest. 

For me it's a day to recharge the batteries, and get ready to face the world for the week. Monday or Bleh Day is usually the start of facing the world.. but tomorrow is our Ekka Day, so I have a 4 day working week (Whooop whoooop!). 

Our Sunday started with early morning meetings. As part of our church leadership, my Tarlini and I head off to meetings. Yes, they are pretty early - but it is really a great privilege to sit there and be instructed and inspired by our Bishopric. And they are inspiring. The picture explains all about our leadership - we are part of the Ward Council and it's busy. We are all volunteers and it is sooooooooo rewarding. You can learn more about it here.

We have a 3 hr block for church. One all together (sacrament), One Sunday School block and one for Relief Society (women) /Priesthood (men) classes. In my role, I look after the children aged 18 months to 11 yrs.  

My Sundays are Fun Days because I take care of the children. There are some really wonderful & dedicated men and women that I work with who week-in week-out make Sunday's a great day for them. 

Today, I got to take Music Time for the younger children (3-7 yr olds) and we did the good old fishing game. I like to have a lot of fun in primary. Keep the kids moving, laughing and really having a good time. The best moments are when we are teaching them a principle, like being honest, and you can see in their eyes that they understand it. You can feel that they have had an 'aha' moment. Most of the moments are confirmation of what they have been taught at home, and that is awesome. 

Back to the fishing game... so they pretend fish and pick up a fish and we sing a song to that number. Usually it's an action song. One of the ones were your simple "Head, shoulders, knees and toes". I told the children that it's most unlikely that I will actually physically touch my toes, but they could go for gold. I love the fishing game because the kids love it and they want to get involved. All it took was drawing fish on coloured paper, laminating them and taping on a paper clip and a old fishing rod (or a stick) with a piece of string and a magnet tied to the end. I'm all for keeping things simple.

I've been told I'm not a normal Primary leader, and that's cool with me. I do like jumping up and down with the kids, singing at the top of my lungs with them and love love love the teaching moments. 

Yes, sometimes we get 'hitters', Tarzans and Janes who swing from the curtains, some kids hide in the most smallest of spaces.. in other words our Primary ain't perfect. But we do try our best every week, and that's what counts. 

And like any other leader, sometimes I come home exhausted. But I'm still happy because I know that we got through the day, and it's time to think about how we make next week better. Plus, that's what Nanny naps are for! 

Grateful for the opportunity to serve and look forward to the day when I hear one of the Primary children say (when they're older) "I remember Sister Shaw, she was crazy but I loved Primary". 

www.lds.org











No comments:

Post a Comment