Wednesday 7 August 2013

Dad Poems

So, my Dad died in 2009. It was out of the blue, and one of those moments that changed my life forever. .

E V E R Y T H I N G changed. 

It's those moments that either make or break you. And I was not even a quarter of a speck close to the trials of anyone - but this could have been the one. But it wasn't. 

When I was younger I would write poems all the time. They would literally just come to me and sometimes I wouldn't know why or who they were for. I wouldn't ponder on them for a long time. I would just get the inspiration and be done in 10 minutes. 

It's been a while since I've written a poem, but the last few have been about Dad. When I was flying home from Sydney one came to me mid-flight. It surprised me, but grateful for reminders and motivation to be better. I know I'm doing something right when a poem comes to me out of the blue. So here goes, my mid-flight poem: 



Am I close enough
for you to touch my face? 
I'm above the clouds too now
you know.

But just for a little while. 

I know that I still have to look up
to even get a speck of hope
to get a glimpse of you. 

And I know if you could
you would reach down
and dry my tears 
and soothe my broken heart. 

But I've still got work to do,
lives to mould, 
my legacy to build. 

So when I am heaven-sent
beyond these clouds,
you will know the heart
you blessed me with
has been passed on. 

And you would be proud. 


My Dad is awesome! I'm grateful for his humour, his huge heart and all that he's taught me. When I look back over the years since he died, I know a lot of the decisions I have made have been to make him proud. Especially the ones when I'm mischief like him.

I think of him always. There are moments when the grief still hits me from nowhere. I may be on my way to work, at home, at work, but it's ok. I know one day, we'll have our sweet reunion in the heavens and we will have a lot to catch up on.

If you are lucky enough to have your parents around still - savour every moment you have with them. Man, I better call Mum tomorrow =). 

I love you Dad !

MANUIA! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment