Friday 13 September 2013

Reality Bites

There are two reality shows I am never going to watch: Big Brother & The Bachelor. It's plain and simply because I don't like them. Like what's the point? I mean, I know what the point is, but why do people find it so entertaining? 

Big Brother is basically us watching these people 24/7, build alliances, some guy (the lead peeping Tom) gives them instructions on things to do to get to stay in there longer. Admittedly, there are some pretty good prizes - whether in cash or in tangible goods, but nothing worth losing so much of your dignity over. There are those that grasp this 5 minutes of fame and use it to further a career in 'entertainment', but most are forgotten as yeterday's news. 

And it's not REAL reality. It's all just people doing it for the money or prizes. The real Big Brother doesn't include cameras, especially when you growing up in a Samoan home. Big Brother isn't the only one watching - there's big sisters, big mother and most of all big father! There are no cameras in the house but even though your father is fully subsonic snoring, he knows where there's an unfamiliar sound in the house, and if he asks if you are trying to hide something from him and you go to say something, he warns, "Shut up!" hahaha. There's suprise guests like Dad's "Peacemakers" or the chicken man (who delivered chickens and eggs) or the repo man. My sister actually wrote a song about him. You have your own Friday Night Games, running down the hallway and into a bedroom, and the jandal your mother throws still manages to hit you square in the back of the head. This is definitely an acquired skill and I didn't think I had it in me, until one day a few years ago my son said something cheeky to me, I jumped up and in one swift movement removed my jandal from my foot and threw it at him with Robin Hood-esque precision. Nominations are called family meetings, where I usually don't say anything but watch in awe of my parents and their management skills. Who needs Big Brother? 30 Justine Street & 60 Astrolabe Street, Cannons Creek: Now that's real.

The Bachelor: cringe! 25 girls trying to woo the heart of one guy... who uses the most romantic flower that lights up the eyes of the recipients and is the flower of death for those aren't given it. This is going to end well! One of my friends say she cannot stop watching it because there's something intriguing about the desparation of it all. I wonder if there are people around the world who have participated in these kind of shows and keep looking backwards because seriously, how can you top those dates? Where are you going to top dates that:

a) you don't have to pay 
b) they are doing some pretty cool stuff
c) everything is done for them

Man, I know some guys who get d) all of the above and they do it in the privacy of their own homes because 9/10 of them are still living at home. The other tenth doesn't live at home, but still comes home to get fed or their washing done.

Anyway, good news ladies. Presenting the most eligible bachelor I know at the moment - my cousin Johnathon who just returned home with honour from serving his LDS (Mormon) mission. Watch out cuz it's all on now. But you'll get a mix of The Bachelor and Big Brother here, because you'll have to get though his sister Tiare first. Good luck with that one girls. Now that's a show I'd like to see hahaha.









No comments:

Post a Comment