Monday 14 October 2013

It's Our Time: Kia Ora, Talofa !


Next weekend the children and I are heading to Auckland for my family reunion. It's for my Dad's family and I'm really looking forward to it. It's been 2 years in the making. Organising a reunion when you're based in another country is way crazy and it has been extremely hard work. But it's for Dad. 

Over the past two years, he's probably been in the heavens with his brothers and his parents both laughing and cursing. Most probably in the same breath dahahaha. 

When we get together next weekend, I'm looking forward to laughing and eating and laughing and eating and having heaps of fun together. It's catered so no one is stuck in the kitchen and that's my favourite part about it all. Mostly because being in the kitchen is not one of my strengths! 

When I get back, I'm hoping to post many photos about the whole event. 

My Dad's family has always been close. We always saw each other. Most school holidays we saw each other. Travelling to Flaxmere to see my Aunty Lagi, Aunty Amelia and Uncle Auro or going to Gracefield and then Naenae when Uncle Finesi and his family moved. I loved going to Gracefield, picking the berries in the gorse filled hill and just hanging out with the cousins. 

We had some mean as fights when we were kids, including against each other. But the moment someone tried to mess with one of us, everyone would turn on that unsuspecting soul and it would be an old fashioned beat down. We would go to Flaxmere and take over the neighbourhood in Scarborough Road and then a few streets over in Peterhead Avenue. At the back of my family home in Justine Street, Cannons Creek is the local school. The climbing frame was extensively used and I have fond memories of playing with my cousins there. 

There was a notable difference when the Aunties were in the house compared to when the Uncles were in the house. My Dad had a great reverence for his sisters and his brothers were his best friends. It didn't matter who was in the house, there were lots of laughs.  Then the card playing would start and if the uncles were around then the parties would begin. 

We didn't have much, but we did have each other and I couldn't fathom a childhood without my cousins being around. 

We believe that families can be together forever. Spending time together like this is a great warm up to the eternities.

Hopeully next weekend, there won't be too many dramas. We're adults now so I'm sure we're past the fist fights dahahaha.. It will be good to be together again and it's not because we are mourning someone. It's sad that not everyone can make it, especially Uncle Amani who is sickly at the moment. 
    
This is, and has always been, for you Dad.

Watch out West Auckland - Team Tapusoa is heading your way! 













No comments:

Post a Comment