Sunday 14 August 2011

There's A Beehive In My House!

Well, there will be soon. Number 1 is turning 12 in a few more sleeps, which means, as my Mormon buddies know, she enters the world of the youth and becomes a Beehive. 


Not literally hahaha.  Some of my non-Mormon friends freaked out and thought she actually was going to go work with bees. No, but she does get to go to youth activities, just not dances till she's 14. Then she'll be a Mia Maid, and then a Laurel at 16.  


There are a few significant milestones in the Latter-Day Saint family and this is certainly one for us. From when she was given her baby blessing just after she was born, and baptised when she was eight, her being part of the youth now has made us reflect, "Where has the time gone?"...  "Have we prepared her well enough" oh, and of course "Are we prepared!" hahahaha.. 


My time in the youth was awesome and I have great memories growing up in my home town, and when I look back I always think - I was blessed to have a really great childhood. I hope she feels the same way. 


I wasn't the nicest person, by all means. And I can picture a few the Young Women (YW) I grew up with saying out loud 'Can I get an Amen!' but I am waaaaay older and wiser now, and a teenie weenie bit nicer. I have graduated from 'backstabbing' to 'frontstabbing', it's so much more satisfying hahaha. I look at my old journals and cringe - double or triple cringe even! 


I know the next six years of her being in the youth will come along with its challenges. When I talk to my Mum about this she giggles about pay back. I wish Ma would keep this to herself, but that wouldn't be Mum hahaha. So, it's going to be a great rollercoaster ride - mostly because she's so much like me it's scary! But I am determined to make it as much as a blast for her, as it was for me. 


Thanks in advance to the YW leaders, and apologies too - you know just in case she is too much like me! In that case, it's best for you to speak to her Dad first.  












No comments:

Post a Comment