Tuesday 23 June 2015

To Serve

On Sunday I got a new calling in Church. 

It's been just over 2 years since I've been serving in our ward Primary and it's been such a great experience. The roller coaster got me a few times there, but the ride was fantastic. On Sunday as the Bishopric member conducted ward business and my name was called out as being released from my calling, there were a few gasps. One of the older primary children were sitting in front of me and turned around with her jaw hitting the ground and I patted her back, assuring her that everything would be fine. 



A few minutes later I stood to be sustained for my new calling in Stake Primary. There were gasps again and I laughed a little to myself because I was trying to figure out if they were surprised gasps because believe me, I was pretty surprised when I first heard the news too. 


Surprised? Hell (or Heck) yeah! 

There was a time when I was a covenant breaker, a prodigal daughter, a hater-rater and a not so great person. I know a few people singing a few hallelujahs to that right now and I own that :). It took me a good 6 years to make it right with the Lord, and probably longer to make it right with me.. cos you know that's what us chicks do. There were a few years there when I wasn't even going to church. The blessings I got out of that period were twofold: 1. My empathy levels went up 10000% for less active members (because some people were pretty mean to me) and 2. It reminded me what I really wanted for my family. 

I'm still a hater-rater every now and again (Amen) and I'm certainly no where near achieving that imaginary bright shining 'perfection' badge (double Amen) mostly because I love chocolate way too much. I believe that all we can do is try our best with what we know and I'm trying.  

I have no doubt that my love to serve and the philosophy to help others if you can is a Christlike attribute that my parents showed frequently in word and deed. I see them in my siblings as I watch them serve their families in every shape and form.  There's no greater feeling than serving and helping others both in need and in want.  

It is beyond my wisdom why I have been called in this capacity. And I repeat the words of Alma: 

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things...." Alma 26:12

I'm looking forward to this new adventure and grateful for the opportunity to meet new people and serve the children within our Stake. 

It's been a long time since this prodigal daughter returned home. It may seem to some that I was never away. The small time away has helped me and has also cemented my testimony, alongside others that if I can make things right - anyone can. World peace is great. Inner peace is way better - just saying :)

Amen. 










No comments:

Post a Comment