Tuesday 19 November 2013

DVT & Taro Legs/Trunks


About a month ago I was due to go to a work conference interstate. The same day I got a call from my doctor. 

"You need to come urgently"
"Can it wait till I get back from my work trip?"
"No"

Okie dokie then. A day or so before I had done some blood tests and the results must've come in. So my Tarlini and I went in. We arrrived at about 1:30pm. I had to leave the doctors by 4pm to make my flight. 

So we get ushered to the doctor's office. One blood test called D-Dimer Innovance was slightly elevated and he was worried I may have something in my lungs and that I may also have DVT which meant there was no way I could fly. I was a little bit worried about not making the work conference but more worried because our family reunion was the following week... oh yeah and the whole dying thing blah blah blah. I needed an chest x-ray for the lungs and both my legs had to be scanned to check for DVT. 

Deep vein thrombosis


DVT is usually the formation of a thrombus in the deep veins of the leg, and may be referred to as proximal DVT or distalDVT. Occasionally, DVT also occurs in the veins of the upper extremities. DVT can occur spontaneously without known underlying cause (idiopathic thrombosis) or after provoking events, such as trauma, surgery or acute illness (provoked thrombosis).
Major veins of the lower extremity.
The most common type of venous thromboembolism isdeep vein thrombosis, which occurs most frequently in veins deep within the muscles of the leg and pelvis.
Patient figure: major veins and deep vein thrombosis (DVT)Major veins of the lower extremity

I was being extra nice to the receptionist and explained that I needed to be on a flight in 90 minutes. She was very helpful. I got into do the x-ray pretty quickly. She said put the robe thing on and stand by the machine for her. The robe thing was like a vest thing and there was a very minute chance that the bits that were supposed to meet together were going to do that. I laughed "These aren't made for polynesians are they?"  No response. Great, I've made the x-ray lady mad. I made her madder when I called her the x-ray lady because she spent many years to be a radiology technician. Whaaaaatevs! 

So that was done.. time for the leg scans. This poor little asian man ushers me in, introduces himself and tells me to take my jeans off and leave the undies on. I get on the bed and realise this poor guy has to handle my taro trunks. He sees my long undies and said I shouldn't leave the hot pants on. Aaaah buddy these are NOT hot pants..! (cue inside mormon joke).

So he starts the exam and pushes from the top of my leg right to my ankle. He uses the same scanner thing that I am familiar with for ultrasounds when I was pregnant.. but he doesn't warm up the gel or anything. Gosh - what happened to customer service! He pokes and prods to get the images he need. There are some moments where I have to clasp my hands together to fight my natural instinct to backhand him. He spends a lot of time in some areas and I ask if he can see something. He just says he's trying to see through the layers. Oh my gosh! He means layers of fat! dahahahahaha. I decide not to ask him any more questions and die a little inside as he starts on the other trunk. 

So at the end of the examination, he says I can get dressed now. I say "So it is a boy or a girl?" 
No response. Tough crowd! 

I got the all clear and made it to my conference! I made it to work - gave my results to my second opnion - aka Underwriters and it was all good. I admit when it was all happening it was a bit scary and I did a bit of pleading with the Lord and was blessed again. 

I was also reminded that you always got to find something to laugh about and grateful that no hair ever grows on my legs, so I didn't have to subject that poor man to that either! 

Hallelujah! dahahaha :) 



























No comments:

Post a Comment